Above is a better pic of me working away in our dining room/ office before I met with a new client last weekend. Now, onto the "how-to"! All I have yet to do is buy a pretty cloth covered extension cord so it looks nice and I can plug it in! Just a heads up, this is the kind of project where some wood working skills are probably necessary! I usually try to keep it easy so that anyone can do it, but that just wasn't going to happen this time around!
- Wood, I used oak, but I would actually suggest pine, because finishing all the edges on the oak was a pain in the patoot because it's such a hard wood.
- Round string lights, I got mine from Target, it's a string of 25 lights, so I had to make sure that 25 lights would make sense on the word I chose, so keep that in mind!
- Hanging hardware
- Jig saw
- Staple Gun
- Print out your word to scale and lay it out on the wood, trace with pencil.
- Rough cut with a jig saw or band saw. I rough cut it first, then went back in to get closer
- Use a rough file to clean up the edges
- Using a router, round top edges
- Go back in with a finer file and sand paper to finish out all the edges, the router usually can't get in the tight corners.
- Drill holes for the lights. On the lights that I bought, there was a little clip on each one, I broke that off so that they would be round and fit into the holes I drilled perfectly.
- Take out bulbs, insert all the light sockets into the holes.
- Attach hanging hardware, measure up from the bottom so that it hangs level, I put mine on the H and L
- Staple down all the wires so that they are hidden when you hang the sign
- Screw in all the light bulbs
- Hang it up and enjoy!