Tuesday, August 20, 2013

DIY Lace Watercolor Art



I've been doing some watercolor experiments for a set of vows I'm turning into art for a client. I liked one of the results so much that I decided to turn it into a little piece of art for myself. When I designed the gallery wall for our guest room, I incorporated one frame in a standard size so that I could swap it out with other art as the mood struck. I thought this was a perfect new piece to fill the frame. This is a simple way to make great looking art, and you don't have to be an artist to make it!

Supplies:

  1. Watercolor paper
  2. Clear glossy spray paint
  3. Doilies, paper or fabric would work
  4. Watercolors
  5. Large watercolor brush


Process:

  1. Tape down doilies in a pattern you like, remember, where the doilies are will be where the watercolor ends up.
  2. Spray the clear spray paint all over the paper, do a couple coats to make sure you have full coverage. The spraypaint will prevent the watercolor from absorbing into the paper. Let paint dry for an hour or two.
  3. Using a large watercolor brush, cover the whole paper in water. Then dip the brush in the colors of your choice. To make the colors mix together well, pick colors close on the color wheel and don't use more than three colors. Good combos would be pink, purple and blue or green, blue and yellow, you get the idea. Add water to make the colors bleed together and just play around to get a mix you like. Make sure not to go back over the colors too many times, you'll risk making them muddy. Once you're done, let it dry, cut out the parts you like best, and put them in frames!
  4. If you want to add something else, like text as I did, scan it into your computer and add a fun phrase, quote or music lyrics. This was a little calligraphy doodle I did while in Asia, the jet lag was getting to me a that point!



No comments:

Post a Comment